WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN CHOOSING A PROFESSIONAL RESUME WRITING SERVICE
The number of scams, inadequate and incompetent resume writing services that are available on the Internet these days, is unlike anything we’ve ever seen before. Be mindful when choosing a resume writing service, anyone these days can say that they write resumes. There are companies out there that are trying to trick the public by ranking themselves “#1” in made-up Top 10 Resume Writing Service lists/reviews. Other companies send resumes overseas to be written which produces resumes that are poorly written and often in broken English.
You should look for the following when selecting a resume writing service.
- Look at the writer’s background. Great writers have great accomplishments and work experiences. Look at their business background. Did they attend a good school – did they rise through the business ranks? Were they ever in Human Resources? Recruiting? Were they an executive? Have they done Career Counseling?
- Do they offer a guarantee? A good firm has pride in their finished product and will stand behind their work by offering to revise your resume for free if needed. Choose a resume writing service that stands behind their product. Ensure that they offer at least 2 free revisions.
- Avoid the low-end providers. There has been a surge of low-end providers offering resumes for $149 or less with a 1-2 day turn around time. This can ONLY mean that the resume writers are rushing through the process and writing too many resumes per day or using cookie-cutter templates to produce the final product. A proper professionally written resume that understands you as a candidate and highlights your accomplishments takes many hours to prepare and cannot usually be completed properly in 1-2 days.
- Make sure you have a one-on-one conversation (as well as an opportunity to fill out a questionnaire), to gather insightful responses to highlight your skills and achievements. The best resume-writing firms will use a combination of both a questionnaire and a phone interview.
- Look for SAMPLE resumes on the website. If you don’t like their samples, you won’t like their work. Look to see if they are focusing on skills and accomplishments as opposed to producing resumes that just list responsibilities and job duties.
- How to write a resume is not as simple as it may seem. Make sure that when speaking to the consultant, they are concerned with writing valid, verifiable statistics and accomplishments.
- Price is important. You don’t want it to have to break the bank, but your resume is the most important document in your career, so naturally it makes sense to spend some money to get a resume that you know will work for you.